No matter how involved you plan to be in the day-to-day management of your online store, it’s still essential to know how to list a new product on Amazon.
Several steps are involved, but once you get the hang of the process, listing a new product will seem super simple.
Let me take you through what you need to know.
How to List a New Product on Amazon
If you prefer to watch a video instead of reading through the steps at your own pace, you can watch the below video.
For more details, keep reading; as I go through each step, I’ll give you extra tips along the way.
Step 1: Create UPC Codes. Every item you list on Amazon requires a UPC. If you are bundling items, the bundle only requires one code. This guide will provide you with the specifics of UPCs and how to generate them.
**TIP: When obtaining your barcode, make sure you get it from GS1; this is a requirement in your Amazon selling agreement**
Step 2: Record Product Weight and Measurements. Before you can upload a product to Amazon, you need to know what it weighs and its general measurements. You will need to physically weigh and measure the length, width, and height of a product if those details aren’t readily available.
**Advanced Tip – Use Helium 10 to track your product alerts; sometimes Amazon will re-weigh or measure your item and change your fees, make sure you know the above so you can dispute any incorrect changes**
Step 3: Photograph Your Products. Not only are photos an essential component of any Amazon product listing, but they can make a massive difference to your bottom line. Ensure that all photos are high quality and highlight the features of your product. I highly recommend you get a professional to assist you with your photos.
** Tip – If you can’t afford professional photography, get a 3d Render made of your product and have a graphic designer create marketing images for you, this listing is a great example of this**
Step 4: Select the Appropriate Categories. To ensure customers can easily find your products, make sure you are selecting the right categories. One way to do this is to search for similar products and see where they are listed. You will need to select a primary as well as a sub-category.
Step 5: Keyword Research. Before you start crafting your product listing title and description, it’s important to identify keyword opportunities. Using the right keywords can boost your listings and increase the chances of customers finding your products. I suggest spending a fair amount of time on keyword research because of how powerful keywords can be.
**Tip – Tools such as Jungle Scout and Helium 10 can really help with this process. In the video below, I show you our exact process **
Step 6: Craft Your Title, Bullet points, and Description. Now that you have your keywords, you can create your product listing title, bullet points, and description. While you want to include keywords in this copy, remember that you should always write for the customer first, not Amazon. Here are some expert tips to get you started.
Step 7: Upload Your Listing. Once you have all the listing details in place, you can log in to Seller Central to begin uploading your products.
Once you are logged in, click on Inventory > Add a Product > Create a New Product Listing.
Once you select your category, you can start filling in all the relevant listing fields.
This includes your product title and description, dimensions, pricing, shipment details, and images. If you plan to have product variations, read this.
For further step-by-step guidance on this, read this article.
You can now save and publish your listing.
Quick Tips for New Amazon Sellers
I could share so many tips with you as a new Amazon seller, but I decided to start you out with a few of my top suggestions.
- Have a Competitive Pricing Strategy. Pricing is something you’re going to need to monitor on an ongoing basis. Your pricing strategy should take seasonality and your competitors into consideration. You will probably find that you will need to be flexible with pricing to achieve your desired sales numbers.
If you want to optimize your listing fully, you will need to split test; we use this software to run tests on the optimum price for profit. You can also split test all the other parts of the listing – Game changer!
- Tell a Story. Just because you’re creating a product listing doesn’t mean you can’t get creative. Remember, you still need to convince customers to add to the cart, so use your description wisely. How will your product enhance the lives of your customers? Touch on this in your description before you dive into features.
- Keywords, Keywords, Keywords. I can’t stress how valuable keyword research is. Watch the below video to see how we use Helium 10 for our own product research.
- Make It a Branding Experience. Don’t make your branding and packaging an afterthought. Customers want the full brand experience when they purchase your products, so make it memorable.
- There Is More Than One Way to Market. If you don’t necessarily have the budget for PPC or social media advertising, don’t let marketing fall away. There are still ways to drive more traffic to your product listings without spending anything – content is one of them. Post content related to your brand, products, and customers on your website and social media to drive additional traffic to your Amazon store.
Learning how to list a new product on Amazon can seem time-consuming in the beginning. However, once all of your listings are loaded, you can focus on driving more traffic and sales.
If you list your products on Amazon correctly, they can be very, very valuable.
If you have any further questions about getting set up on Amazon, leave me a comment below, and I’ll see if I can help you out.
More useful content is coming soon!Tags: Amazon beginner, amazon questions, amazon seller questions, ecommerce